Sunday 15 July 2012

GEOFF COOK


         I did my pre-clinical studies at Cambridge and played a lot of cricket getting a Blue for 2 years.     On coming to Guys, we had an excellent cricket team playing many London Clubs and winning the Hospital’s Cup for 2 years running. The ground at Honor Oak Park holds many happy memories.

         After qualifying, I did 3 months H.P. work with Willie Mann followed by 3 months Casualty.      I then did 6 months as H.S. to Sam Wass.     Sam was a great teacher, as was his Registrar Paddy Boulter. In those days we were on call for one week every month, which was quite stressful.     After this, I did 6 months Obstetrics at Farnborough Hospital, Kent with Tubby Evans.

        I then joined a Guys man in General Practice in Sunninghill, Ascot.     Richard was an excellent G.P. and married to Dr. Douthwaite’s daughter.     We were a 2-man Practice which meant being on call every other night and every other weekend.     For holidays we were on call continually for 2 weeks.     The Practice gradually expanded to 3, plus a part-time lady.     We became a training Practice and I was a Trainer for 15 years.    I worked for many years on the Disability Appeal Tribunal.

      A great friend of mine died of cancer aged 45 years and his wife and I started a fund in his memory.     We sponsored a Macmillan service in East Berkshire and later raised funds (£750,000) to build a Day Hospice in the grounds of Heatherwood Hospital, Ascot.      A particular interest was Medical Hypnosis and I was a member of the British Medical & Dental Hypnosis Society.     I treated many patients mostly for anxiety related problems, and particularly helping cancer patients to develop a positive approach to their illness.     I was a member of Ascot Round Table until the age of 40 years and since then have been a Rotarian in the Rotary Club of Ascot.

        I continued to play cricket until the age of 75 years. My wife and I play tennis twice a week and I am a member of Swinley Forest Golf Club and several golf societies and play golf regularly. We have a house in Spain on the Costa Blanca, which we visit for 2 months in the Spring and 2 months in the Autumn.                             Geoff Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment